Moving the steam donkey to a new setting at Lull Bay in Knight Inlet. Dot Logging Co. was owned by Clarence and Doug Boardman. This steam donkey (a 10 X12) was restored by the Museum at Campbell River and is now on display out front.
Beecher Lake Lumber Co., which was owned and operated by the Baikie family of Campbell River, was located in the Campbell River estuary area. The Beecher Lake Lumber Co. milled the wood that was logged by Baikie Bros. Logging.
The rigging crew relaxing on a pile of cedar logs. Top row, left to right: Carl Carlson, Carl Aurdahl, Oscar Lind, Julius Sampson; middle row: Harry Brett, Gotfred Sundberg, and Aaron Ericson (high rigger and foreman) at bottom.
Coal Creek Logging Ltd. was owned and operated by Les and Agnes Bestwick. In 1944 they moved their truck logging operations to Granite Bay and logged in that area until 1955/56. They sold their logging operation to the Baikie Brothers of Campbell River.
A long-standing tradition on Vancouver Island - beginning with log sawing competitions around 1910, and being continued now with Campbell River's Annual North Island Logger Sports - the largest logger sport competition in Canada for the last 5 years running.
In the early years a camp was more than just a place for the men to work and sleep, but also a home for their children and families. Larger camps had family housing, schools for the children, and other such amenities.
Logging in the area has not only included Vancouver Island itself, but also some of the smaller islands adjacent to it; including Cortes Island, Read Island, Sonora Island, West Redonda Island (Teakerne Arm), and others.
A variety of companies have logged in the Menzie's Bay area (just north of the city of Campbell River) over the years, including Lamb Lumber Co., Bloedel Stewart & Welch, MacMillan Bloedel, and Campbell River Timber Co.